So far I've cut 8,000 words from Dragon Prey. When I do something like that, it leaves a jagged hole in the story. I have to stitch the ends of what's left together, and rewrite a bit to erase any possible scar, but often times, a lot of stuff leading up to and after that cut may refer to text that is now gone and these references could be anywhere in the story. I have comb through the text to make small incisions to fix these things. I really wish I could write a story from beginning to end and just be done with it. If I could just do that and and then only have to worry about grammar and punctuation, writing would be so much easier.
I don't want to gripe every week in this post. I'm actually sort of pleased to cut those 8,000 words from the story. It dealt with a sequence of events that never seemed to add much. (And when I say I've cut words, I mean I've cut and pasted them to another document. I have a Word file titled Dragon Prey Fragments so I can refer to those cut bits and possibly pull out a favored line or something in the future.) I was excited to have written a 90,000 word story. It was set to be the longest thing I've ever written, but now it may be closer to 80,000. But if the story is tighter and more powerful, that's better.
Well, I'm gonna keep polishing and smoothing out Dragon Prey. I'm very sorry it is so incredibly delayed. I hope once it's published you think it was worth the wait.